Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mar 23-25: Margaret River

After driving between 6 and 12 hours a day almost every day for the last two weeks, I decided I had earned a break. I was starting to go a little batty without social interaction, so I decided to stop in at a hostel to meet a few new people.

Hostel can mean anything. It could be anything from simple or plain, up to rat-infested or party crazed. I bunked in at a place in downtown Margaret River - the only spot left was a single bunk in an 8-bed room share. Throughout the night, there was constant traffic in and out of the room, lights coming on and off until 4:30am. It was hilarious. 18 and 19 year old guys and girls, too drunk to see, giving each other life advice. There was even a little bit of romance going on the bunk below me. The first alarm clocks went off at 5:00am, as berry pickers got up for the early shift. While I didn't get a solid night's sleep, I would still score this place high based strictly on entertainment value.

The wine tour the next day was stellar. Loads of great people, and some lovely wines. At lunch time, I was one of two lucky souls (readin: one of only two volunteers) who got to try a witchetty grub which tastes surprisingly nutty. Good times had by all :)

IMG_6674IMG_6667IMG_6687IMG_6683IMG_6703IMG_6705

No comments:

Post a Comment