Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mar 14: The eventual and inevitable blog update

After 6 weeks of dragging my butt, and taking shorthand notes, I've finally dedicated a day to updating the blog. It has been a quiet and lazy day as I toured the downtown core, parking myself in public parks to tap busily at the mini netbook computer until my battery would die... then charging it up before repeating the cycle.

Here is the (very loose) plan from here forward:

- Adelaide to Flinders Range [Monday]
Nice hiking in the neighborhood... might as well stop :)

- Flinders Range to the Nullarbor [Tuesday]
The Nullarbor is the straightest road in the world. Imagine if Saskatchewan road builders got to build the Yellowhead between Edmonton and Winnipeg. It takes three days to drive safely. Surrounded by empty desert, the most common accident is people falling asleep and just veering off the road. Sometimes they continue driving for several minutes before they wake up and realize they are off the road. It will be three long days of concentrating very hard on holding the steering wheel absolutely steady. Better swap up the music on the ipod. Maybe this would be a good time to listen to my "learn spanish" lessons.

- Nullarbor to Perth [for 5-10 days]
- Perth to Broome [for 20-30 days]
- Broome to Darwin [for 10-20 days]
- Darwin to Cairns [for 10-20 days]
- Cairns to Sydney [for 10-20 days]
- Sydney to Edmonton [for 1 very long day]

Hope you are enjoying the blog :)

1 comment:

  1. Russ,
    It's Trish here, Natalie's friend from way back. I did this exact trip back in 2002. Even had the exact van, or what looks like the exact van (mitsubishi express?). We started in Noosa, drove south, and then looped back around.
    Anyway, my favorite place of the entire trip was Coral Bay, WA. You MUST go there. It will blow the Great Barrier Reef out of the water. No boats necessary, the reef is 10 steps into the water from the beach. All you need is a snorkel. When I was there the whale sharks were about, not sure if it is the right season, but a close second is the snorkel or dive with manta rays.
    Anyway, enjoy your travels. I am living near Jervis Bay at the moment on a co-op work term with my Uni. I fly home from Sydney May 4th if you're kicking around, but I doubt you'll be back by then.
    Safe travels!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete