Sunday, March 14, 2010

Feb 7: Van shopping... again...

I am finally back in Sydney, getting ready to shop for vans again. This time, I have a few days on my hands, and I've got a car to get me from place to place. Day 1 of van shopping had me stopped at a place called Kings Cross, a notorious backpacker hangout - where potential van sellers park their cars up and down Margaret Street and wait patiently as passers-by come to inspect their temporary homes. Since van-camping across Australia is so popular, there are always quite a few people looking to sell.

It is a nice change from dealing with car salesmen.
It would be nicer if the vans were in better shape.

Today I realized exactly how lucky I had been to find Trusty Rusty. She was a gem of gems in this lot of recycled and beat-up work vans. Despite her many dents and flaws, she was mechanically invicible, and a youngster at a mere 11 years old.

I will have to test out other options tomorrow.
And go see more vans! (the exclamation point is me trying to muster up some enthusiasm about shopping)

Oscar, Matt and Anna have been very kind to offer to let me stay for as long as it takes to sort things out. With a house one street off the popular Manly Beach it is very hard to say no. I feel lucky to have met such wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment