Friday, January 22, 2010

Jan 5: Canberra to Newcastle

We made the quick jaunt from Newcastle to Canberra, stopping on the way to help me setup an Australian bank account, and get a 3G wireless card for the mini computer I've been dragging around. Now I can check my email anywhere I get a cell phone signal. I'm a little bit revolted by my own excitement...

We met up with a Browyn at the McDonald's on the way past Sydney. Bronnie is one of the few familiar faces I've now seen on opposite sides of the world. She does PR in Australia for the super food chain. While I wasn't a big supporter of Mickie Dee's back home, Maccas (as it is called) I certainly will be in Australia. Not only do they have a handful of smart-calorie options, they also offer free wifi connections.

Newcastle is Mick's hometown. Originally a coal town, it is home to an incredible set of beaches, and some of Sydney's wealthy weekend/retirement properties. In Newcastle we met Mick's parents, his sister, and his two nephews. It is easy to sort out how Mick turned out to be such good egg with such a great family.

No comments:

Post a Comment