Tuesday, June 1, 2010

May 27-29: The Gold Coast

The Gold coast is a very nice area along the east coast of Australia located between Sydney and Brisbane. I am venturing through familiar territory now which is (paradoxically) an unfamiliar feeling.

I spent a night in Coffs Harbour and a night in Port Macquarrie. Both are sleepy weekend holiday destinations for folks from Sydney. Were I not on a backpacking budget, nearing the end of my tour, I would have gladly stayed longer.

Peaches is starting to act up a little. I'm having less and less success trying to start her. When I turn the key, I need to wait for 10 seconds to see if anything happens. If not, I begin a methodical set of experiments in a trial and error sort of method, beginning with changing the gear I'm in, to adjusting the steering column, ending in me wiggling my butt to shake the Pajero back and forth. On separate occaisions, each of these strategies have worked. I've recently discovered a new trick... if I leave it in neutral, turn the key and then slam it into park, the car starts. I can't wait to explain this to the mechanic.

I popped into Newcastle to see Will, Leah and Hugh once again. In the 5 months it has taken me to circumnavigate Australia, they have had a baby (Hugh), Will switched jobs, and they moved about 1500 km from Melbourne to Newcastle. It is so great to see them to catch up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment