Monday, June 28, 2010

Jun 21-25: I loathe goodbyes

I returned to Australia on a Monday, with 4 days to cross any remaining items off my list. I wandered Sydney aimlessly, packed and repacked my bags, and read furiously to try to finish a fantastic book that Oscar had loaned me that I didn't want to steal (Jitterbug Perfume - read it, you'll love it). My last afternoon was spent wandering the Botanic Gardens, watching the sun set over the Sydney Opera House and the imposing Harbor bridge. I've taken more than 12,000 pictures over the last 6 months, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if I had taken 500 of that one iconic building.

I have never been good at saying goodbye. Sometimes it feels easier to sneak away without bothering anyone, and avoid subjecting everyone to the emotional distress. Why does it always seem easier to start things than to end them? I got a chance to say a final so long to some of the people I met along my travels. As I reflect back on the 6 month adventure now, I am not going to miss the country. That is to say I won't miss the beaches, and the sunshine.

But I am going to miss all the wonderful people...

No comments:

Post a Comment