Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 19-23: Fraser Island Adventures

Fraser Island is the world's largest sand island. It is a 4-wheel-driving paradise, with a 75 mile sand beach, and incredible tracks through the deep forests. It was the last real adventure for Peaches the Pajero - my last shot at doing any real damage - after this it will be mostly highway driving.

You hop on a 30 minute ferry and presto, you're adventuring around the island. As a rookie 4 wheel driver, I took it pretty easy.

The island has several noteable features. My favorite was the wreck of the SS Maheno. It was a turn of the century luxury liner that was washed ashored during a cyclone in 1935 while it was being towed to Japan to be sold as scrap. The other is a bold population of dingoes. Usually a small and timid scavenger dog, the Fraser Island dingoes have grown accustomed to human contact. My buddy Ashley and his crew had their campsite raided on the first night, and lost all of their meat for the trip.

This marks an inflection point in my trip. From here I'll be doubling back over ground I've covered before. It officially marks the completion of my "lap" of Australia. I have a month left until my return trip to Canada, and I have to start thinking about things like selling my truck, getting a job, and sorting out what I want to do with my life. It is bittersweet. The past 5 months have been such an incredible adventure - I'm looking forward to seeing everyone from back home... and to my next adventure :)

IMG_9528IMG_8479IMG_8379IMG_9661IMG_8368IMG_8533

No comments:

Post a Comment