Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Apr 22-27: Alice Springs and Uluru

I decided to make a quick trip down to see Uluru - formerly known as Ayer's Rock - a bourneheart stone in the red centre of Australia. It is a place of much cultural significance for the aboriginal people.

As opposed to the self-guided adventure I've been leading to date, I decided it would be fun to try to take the train there and join a tour... stopping for a quick helicopter tour of the Catherine gorge en route. For three days and two nights we visited the area around Uluru and did some hiking through King's Canyon. Save for the series of bedbug bites I picked up at the hostel in Alice Springs, this was a great way to get to know the outback and to meet some new people.

I rode the train back to Darwin with Joseph, a German guy who tests the steering in new Audi cars (this is a true story: he test drives cool cars for a living). Where did I go wrong? Maybe it is time for a career change...

IMG_8362IMG_6891IMG_8369IMG_7049IMG_7208IMG_7081IMG_7076IMG_7402DSCF2635_resizeuluru_panorama

No comments:

Post a Comment