Thursday, February 25, 2010

Jan 26: Happy Australia Day

Happy Birthday Australia. Today Australia turns 222, based on the date the colony of New South Wales was established as a penal settlement. I have decided to celebrate by visiting with one of Australia's most famous icons, the Koala bear.

The Koala reserve on Phillip Island is a great place to see Koalas in semi-wild conditions. Unlike birds or snakes, they are easy to photograph, as they are more or less sedentary. The Koala is not really related to the bear - it is instead a close cousin of the possum and the wombat (which looks like a giant hamster).

I got a rare chance to see the spectacular Melbourne fireworks from the sea, as Trusty Rusty and I boarded an overnight ferry to Tasmania.

There is a second reason to celebrate... though this one is strictly personal. Since I was a little kid, I have always bit my nails. I've tried a couple of different tactics to quit, but the nasty habit always seemed to re-emerge in times of stress. For the first time I can remember, I actually had to buy nail-clippers to trim my fingernails. While it might seem like a morbid and unsanitary point to highlight, I think it symbolically represents my own personal victory over the stresses of everyday life.

IMG_5412

No comments:

Post a Comment